Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self “publishing” her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples and electrical tape.
After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios as a Manager of Acquisitions and Business Development. In May of 2005, Jessica quit her job to follow her dream of becoming a published author.
In four short years , Jessica has sold nine novels (two adult novels to St. Martin’s Press and seven young adult novels to Farrar, Straus, Giroux.) The Fidelity Files, her debut, (which was recently optioned for film) released in stores (in real binding) in June of 2008 and the follow-up, Love Under Cover (aka The Good Girl’s Guide to Bad Men in the UK) in November 2009. The Karma Club, Jessica’s debut young adult novel released in April of 2010 and her second YA release, My Life Undecided hit bookstores in June 2011.
Jessica’s books are published and translated in over twenty foreign countries including the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Norway, Denmark, China, Russia, Brazil, Poland, Bulgaria, Israel, and Taiwan. Click here for a full list of foreign sales and publishers.
Jessica now works full time as a writer and producer. She currently splits her time between Los Angeles and Colorado.
Jessica visits schools all across the nation! Find out what teachers, librarians, and students have said about her presentation or how you can book an author visit for free!
15 Random (and somewhat embarrassing) Facts about Jessica:
- She loves bananas but hates anything banana flavored.
- She’s squeamish about bones and belly buttons.
- She’s always secretly wanted to be a member of the Spice Girls.
- She doesn’t like it when vegetables try to pass themselves off as dessert. (“Carrot Cake? Seriously? You’re not fooling anyone!”)
- The first book she learned to read was Go Dog Go at age 2, although technically she probably just memorized it.
- She can’t whistle. (And no, it’s not as simple as just putting your lips together and blowing).
- She’s allergic to avocado (a fact that she hates because she loves guacamole!)
- Her favorite movie to quote is the movie, Arthur starring Dudley Moore. (“Bitterman, drive through the park. You know how I love the park.”)
- She’s always had a strange obsession with the scanners at supermarket registers and now never misses an opportunity to use the self check-out lanes so she can scan her own food.
- She loves speaking in a British accent, much to the annoyance of everyone around her.
- She’s always hated doing anything athletic and used to hide behind the handball courts in elementary school during P.E.
- She is a major tech-y and has to own every gadget that comes out. Regardless of whether or not she has any intention of using it.
- She can’t stand the word “pocketbook” or “panties.”
- Her all-time favorite foods are pixy sticks, sushi and afternoon tea sandwiches and she insists on having all three at her birthday parties.
- Her very first novel was called The Puppy and the Kitty and was complete with illustrations. She wrote it when she was 7. (See photo below).